Making Money Challenge – Have you started?

by Kylie on April 9, 2012

I have been doing the money making challenge for a month now. The first step was to find some money and I managed to find $25.65 to start with. After I had found some money the next step was to double it. That was 3 weeks ago.

I started with buying a couple of things to resell. I spent $3.30 on 2 tops and sold them for $10. But that is all I have done. I have been super busy with speaking at the Digital Parents Conference as part of a weekend away with 2 of my sisters, getting my daughter tested and finding out she needs speech therapy twice a week, helping some friends and family plus the usual school and home life things.

I was hoping to have done more by now and creating excuses does not change the fact I have not done much. In fact, it is when we create excuses for ourselves that we often allow ourselves to get complacent about things and end up allowing the behavior to continue.

I know I have taken on too much over the last few weeks. I have been keeping a time diary to see where my time goes and now know exactly why I have not achieved what I expected to have achieved by now.

Excuses are not solutions and they serve no real purpose when it comes to creating wealth.

I’m not going to dwell on why I haven’t full doubled my money yet. I am not going to tell you what I am going to do, because I already shared some ideas in this post. Instead I will just tell you when I have actually done more.

I am interested to know though if any of you have found any more money or if you have started trying to double it. Here is the linky which will be open for a week if you decide to blog about it.

Kim April 9, 2012 at 7:19 pm

Only found 10c and am at a loss as to how to double that!

Kylie April 10, 2012 at 11:03 pm

Kim, some op shops sell magazines and books for 10cents, or garage sales, you might be able to buy one and resell for a profit elsewhere.
Kylie recently posted..Time Diary ResultsMy Profile

Tracy Jones July 12, 2012 at 8:58 pm

why not tell friends what you are up to( i,e, got to double it)and ask if someone wants to swop a 10c for a 20c. A bit like the guy who asked to swop one red paperclip, and ended up having free rent in a house for a year- cos he kept on upsizing his swop.

Shelly April 10, 2012 at 7:28 am

I found $2 at the conference. (BTW, I was sorry that I didn’t get a chance to come say hello–next time!) Not really sure what I can do with it.

I am a Virtual Assistant, but haven’t done much to promote my business locally yet. Do you think if I print up some flyers promoting my business that it would fall within the guidelines of the challenge? My website and business are already established with money I’ve already spent, so maybe better to use my skills but not under the umbrella of the business.

I don’t use my blogging connections for my VA business, so maybe I could offer my services to others via my blog. $2 is a hard amount to work with, maybe I need to look around for some more found money.
Shelly recently posted..Friday Funny: The Big Bang TheoryMy Profile

Kylie April 10, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Good job finding $2 at the conference and I’m sorry we didn’t get to meet either. It’s up to you how you do it. My one thought is that how would you be able to tell if the business came from the flyers instead of other avenues?

$2 can be hard but you can buy stuff to resell or something like that. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Kylie recently posted..Time Diary ResultsMy Profile

Born27 April 10, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Haven’t found anything yet! :( Hoping sooner or later they’ll just all bloom in my face.
Born27 recently posted..Conference Call UKMy Profile

Kylie April 10, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Good luck Born27
Kylie recently posted..Time Diary ResultsMy Profile

Charlenevans April 11, 2012 at 10:55 am

I’ve done it already! Already saved much from the junk in the garage. What I do right now is segregating plastics, metals and papers. I do believe that there’s money in the junk! (Lol!)
Charlenevans recently posted..handMy Profile

Danny April 18, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Hi, Kylie:

Love this idea and am always motivated by competitions and or challenges. You should make this a regular thing, if it isn’t already.

I found $25 I would like to double and or do something with, will have to look over your other two articles on the topic – to see how your challenge works. Will come back to report a 2nd time.

Cheers!
Danny recently posted..6 Good Stand Up Desks Priced Under $150My Profile

Kylie April 19, 2012 at 5:11 am

It is an ongoing thing I will be posting about and doing. :) Good luck doubling your money.

Shabby Vintage Junk August 8, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Hi Kylie….!

I have an idea that might help some of your readers who may only find small amounts….!

Today I found 20c in a car park….I’m going to buy an item from an Op-Shop for $1.00 & sell it on eBay….Say for example, the item sells for $10.00, the amount I would put toward this challenge would be $2.00 as it represents the 1 – 5 ratio used to purchase the item….!!

To make it easier from a paperwork perspective, I would simply pay the listing & selling fee (as applicable) from the $8.00 remaining from the sale….!

This leaves $2.00 to continue the challenge….!!

I think this would be a GREAT idea for anyone currently holding back from participating due to small amounts of change….!!!!!

I’ll let you know how I go….!!!

Cheers,