Home » Princess and Pirates Party for under $50

Princess and Pirates Party for under $50

It’s my daughters birthday soon and we have been discussing what to do. She is turning 5 and has a million ideas a day for what she wants. I know many people these days getting jumping castles or have it at a playcentre/Macdonalds/Hungry Jacks so they don’t have to worry about the mess or entertaining the kids. I considered this, but for a few reasons such as cost, lack of imagination/loads of junk and the fact there was no take home bags for the kids in options under $100 and the cake would not be that exciting, I decided against it.

To get the party at a venue with “lolly bags” for the other kids to take home it would cost $250+ for 8 kids. Since my daughter only really has 5 children she wants to come, it’s a little more than I want to spend.

I got to thinking and she is obsessed with princesses, so thought I could do a “Princess and Pirates” theme. The kids can come dressed up and we can do it here.

What about games?
I thought we could start with making crowns. They have done this at preschool and loved it. All I need is some white cardboard which is only $1.20 for a big sheet. I have sequins, pretty paper, glitter etc. already.

Next would be a treasure hunt with maps of things hidden around the backyard. Each kid will get a bag to put their treasures in. This bag will also be the lolly bag they take home. I have seen bags for $6 with jewellery, slinkies and other bits and pieces that would work.

I have face paints, so we will be doing that, which was a big thing my daughter really wanted.

A piñata is always fun, as is put the crown on the princess. I have everything for these games, I just need a few more things to put in the piñata.

Then of course there is food. I was thinking fairy bread, a fruit platter, chips, dip (my daughters have 2 favourite dips and crackers), the birthday cake of course and some drink. It will be mid afternoon so no need to go overboard and kids are mainly interested in easy to eat finger food, nothing too fancy.

I priced everything and all up the party should be under $50 and my daughter is so excited. Considering how much some people spend on kids parties, I am really happy to keep it so simple, yet fun.

What do you do for kids birthdays?

7 Responses to “Princess and Pirates Party for under $50”

1. Louise says:

Pass the Parcel is good fun and these days there is a small trinket every time a layer of paper comes off. Watch the music and make sure everyone gets at least one turn.
    Have an assortment of fruits to eat in case someone has an allergy – strawberries, pieces of orange, pieces of cucumber, etc.
    Take photos and ask the families if you can send them to them that evening, but remind them not to post on Facebook.
    Mostly children like to play with each other and they do not really like all that superficial expensive stuff. Your party sounds excellent because it is family centred.

• Jo says:

My son is also turning 5 shortly and I’m in the process of planning a party while trying to stick to a budget. We’re also doing it at home although the guest list is a bit longer – he has invited 15, eek! A while ago he asked for a costume party which I agreed to because he already has a couple of lovely costumes but now he insists he wants to go as superman or batman so I’m trying to figure out how to make a decent costume without blowing the budget!
      I like a lot of your ideas, I think our party will be along similar lines :-)

• Jo says:

Oops, didn’t mean that to be a reply to Louise – that’s what happens when using ipad on bus on way home! Sorry!

• Kylie says:

Eeek! 15 kids! So glad my daughter is very specific about only having a few. Good luck with it.

• Kylie says:

Thanks for the ideas Louise. It’s true, kids are more interested in playing with each other etc.
          Jo, I remember my mum sewing a great Batman mask for my brother one year.
          Thanks Jan. I loved the parties my mum did. She was very creative, but budget conscious and all my friends loved what she did, all home parties and all simple, but fun.
          I was thinking something similar too Kim. Great idea.

2. jan says:

Having older adult chn, a teenager and a 4 year old let me say kids love “home parties”..just do what you can manage, think smart. do a few pretty/pintrest things, have a theme if you want, keep the food simple and have lots of fun and take photos…. and stick to your realistic and reasonable budget..everyone will be happy..

3. Kim says:

We just had a similar party for my daughter, it cost about $50 too. We also set up a table with arrowroot biscuits and cupcakes with dishes of icing, sprinkles etc and they iced thier own things and lived it, it took up a fair bit of time too which was good